July 12, 2008

A Mexican Girl Who Only Speaks English

So here we are in an internet café in Manzanillo, listening so some crazy loud music coming from the alley way. My sisinlaw Tia and I are out on the town this afternoon. That should scare you because of the fact that I am the driver. Driving in Missoula is challenging enough for me- I get in near death experiences there all the time, and I even know all of the traffic rules. We have nearly died at least three times today. We are only alive due to the fact that the people here have been kind and allowed us to live. That is not to say that we have not been honked at and screamed at in Spanish. I, however, choose to believe that they are screaming encouragement, as in "Please, my dear beautiful gringa, be careful!!! You have so much to live for."
The house we are staying in is AWESOME. It is right on the beach. It is so close to the beach that we here waves lapping against the shore at night while we are in our beds. There is a housekeeper.She does LAUNDRY.I think I love her. There is a little swimming pool between the house and the beach, so when the kids aren..t playing in the sand and ocean, they are jumping in the pool over and over and …. Over.We are MAKING Derrin get out and actually drink and eat today. He didn..t drink anything yesterday, and by last night he was so dehydrated he looked like he had two black eyes.

Last night Kloe put on her little orange dress I bought her in Mexico last year.She was dancing around the pool singing,"I am a Mexican girl!! Mexicaaaaannnn Guuurrrrrrllll".She stopped in front of her uncle David and said ,"I am a Mexican girl.Am I pretty?"Too which he agreed, she is indeed a pretty Mexican girl. So she asked him to teach her SpanishSo he first told her how to say "Good Morning". Buenos Dias. She mastered it easily. She was indeed a Mexican girl. So he proceed on to "See you later. Hasta Luego. Turns out not so easy. She started,"asta lugo...esta legoand then stopped, looked up at David and said,"I am a Mexican girl. A Mexican girl who only speaks English".All I can say to that is AMEN and ME TOO.

No comments: