May 9, 2007

It's Just a Shirt

This morning while dropping my son off at school I saw something that cheered me into a blooming smile. We were almost to the drop-off door, and I had stopped to let the car ahead of us release it's kid to school. All of a sudden the mom driving the car (actually it was a blue SUV of some sort) hopped out to get something for her kid. What cheered me was that fact that she was only wearing a shirt. Sure, it was big and went to mid-thigh, but the fact is there was only a shirt. Barefoot. Maybe there were shorts under the shirt, maybe not, but I did not care. All of a sudden I felt pretty pulled together, even if I was still wearing my pajamas. My day was off to a head start in comparison to shirt-mom.

There is a lesson for me to learn here. That woman probably felt pretty embarrassed to get out of her car mostly naked (or maybe she is just an exhibitionist and completely enjoyed it, who knows), but she made a stranger feel a little better (even if it was just my desicion to wear some clothes to the school). I am divided about my lesson. It is either (1) Don't ever just wear a shirt to school and then get out of the car OR (2) If you ever forget to wear pants to school, don't be too hard on yourself. You may just cheer up the person in the car behind you.

No comments: