January 16, 2008

Bad Mommy!

Last night, while I was reading my book , listening to Clifford the Big Red Dog in the background, I slowly became aware that one of my kids was making a half-crying, half choking noise, while the other one was partly trying to reassure while at the same time unsuccessfully trying not to laugh. Confused and worried, I dropped the book and ran into the kitchen.

Now for a little background info- my scientist/artist Kloe has been into experimenting with foods, and drinks, mixing her candy with her water, trying to make things change color, and also experimenting with what happens when water is put in the freezer. It's awesome how excited she gets when she can change colors or liquidity of water and food. She keeps a bottle of water in the freezer that she will put water in (and sometimes ingrediants to "color" it), and when she remembers she has a frozen treat in there, she is all impressed with her forethought of freezing it. However, it never occurred to me to explain to her some of the dynamics of frozen water.

When I went into the kitchen, Kloes tongue was several inches longer than I had ever known it to be. And stretched out thin enough to be attached to the shrunken ice in the bottle. Of course my heart went out to her! Who would have thunk it? I knew of course that warm water was the antidote. As I went to get a towel and a glass of warm water, I tried SO HARD not to smile. Unfortunately, it was impossible. I tried to hide my face from my poor crying child, but I couldn't hide that I was laughing uncontollably. You would have too I tell you!!! I could her her gasp indignantly into the bottle as I tried to calm down and take a deep cleansing breath before I turned to disconnect the thing from her. Her eyes flared and she bellowed, "Thop Lathing Ath Meh!" Oh my gosh. I am so sorry, I hope I did not scar her forever, but it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

The story has a happy ending. The warm water worked it's magic and I earned her forgiveness by cuddling for 30 minutes while we watched more Clifford. But I am pretty sure I still might earn the bad mommy award for that one.

Since I am telling stories on Kloe, I need to add one that happened a couple weeks ago. We were driving home, and had just stopped at Wendy's to grab a bite to eat. Both of the kids had frosties for later, and I had them hold them on the way home. Derrick and I were talking to eachother when suddenly I became aware that there was an impending fight in the backseat. I could hear Kloe sniff and say in an extremely choked up and disgruntled, and accusatory voice,"Derrin, it just really hurts me that yours says YOU are special, and mine doesn't", and then she just dissolved into a heart-rending bout of weeping.

What had said that Derrin was special and not said that she was special? The culprit was.... Wendy's! Rottin Sons Of.... Apparantly Derrin's Frosty Cup said that it was the best frosty for him because he is so special. My son can read now, AND he has the perfect understanding of his sister's fragile feelings that only an older brother can have. All he had to do was point out the cups obvious understanding of how very special he is (and how her cup obviously did not feel the same way about her), and then he just sat back and watched the show.

After much talking and reasoning, I think we convinced her that whatever the cup thought about her, she is still a very special little girl.

No comments: