September 10, 2008

The Forty Dollar Goldfish

So, I was reading through some old blogs of mine, when I noticed the one about when my goldfish Fred died. I had just bought him a goldfish wife, who we hadn't named yet. She got the unfortunate name of "Fred's Widow" when he died within days of her purchase. I am sure she didn't care though.

What she might have cared about is the fact that by early winter I still had not taken her out of our little front yard pond. I would peek in now and then and say such things as,"I hope that little fish is okay!" or, "Hmm. I am afraid her chances INSIDE are much worse than this ice encrusted pond". I, after all, had unintentially murdered at least six of her goldfish brethren the winter before in an attempt to keep them alive inside. My lesson was learned. Rachel is a fish killer. But an apologetic one.

My brother Danny heard about my poor little fish one day when I was wondering out loud how long a fish can be frozen solid and yet still come back to life at Spring. Danny is good with fish. He manages to keep them alive for long periods of time. Clearly not a family trait. He volunteered to take my little goldfish into his fishtank, where he gave Fred's widow a lovely home for many months.

About a month ago she wore out her welcome. She grew ENORMOUSLY under his loving care. She is the size of an edible perch. Not only that, but she had taken to the charming habit of eating Danny's other fish. As snacks. It was time for Fred's Widow to come home.

I picked her up last weekend, determined not to kill her after the love and attention my bro put into keeping her alive. It is again too cold to put her in the pond, and she is much too big for a bowl. I had to buy a tank. Equipped with filter and heater. Fred's Widow is now living large (for a fifty cent goldfish bought with the intent of keeping another goldfish company who died within DAYS of her purchase...). And that is how my fifty cent goldfish turned into a forty dollar goldfish.

No comments: