July 14, 2011

A Morning of EeWww

There is nothing quite like being woke up at 6:45 in the morning by a frantic, eight year old crying about a very bad smell in her room. 

A smell that she wants nothing to do with and so would you please do something about that please. 

A smell whose origins have everything to do with a furry little critter that she scrimped and saved for months to have. 

We had a true lesson on puppyhood (babyhood, really) this morning.  Took me back to the days of my own chillins' and the delights of waking up to a ripe diaper that didn't quite make it through the night, to the delight of a curious and artistic toddler.

Anyways, Jessy's crate was a stink fest this morning- obviously something didn't agree with her yesterday.  Getting the whole morning mess cleaned up was a three man job- Derrin gave her a bath, and Kloe and I cleaned the crate, gagging and tearing up the whole time.

Actually, Kloe was trying to back away from the door (as most people with a functioning olfactory system would be), and I was barking like a drill Sargent for her to get back in there and help me out because, by all that is holy, I am NOT going to be cleaning puppy-poo up all by myself at 6:45 in the morning!!!  Ah, it really was like a walk back in time into early parenthood.

Writing about this is way more fun that actually doing it in this case...

Talking about family pets, Derrin's black moor passed on yesterday.  Not 'Wolf', who died awhile ago, but 'Koakanee'.  RIP Koakanee.  And now his other fancy goldfish 'Granite' appears to be ailing, despite special salt baths and water cycling.  These 'special' goldfish are too hard to keep alive!  Give me a plain ol' goldfish anyday!  I'm pretty sure I could strip my floor with the amount  of ammonia in Mercury's (my giant regular goldfish) aquarium.  You'd have to run him though the washing machine before he kicked the bucket.

So, now that our exciting morning has calmed down, my day should be a fairly calm one.  It is GREY out there.  Looks nothing like what a July morning should look like; clouds are hanging low along the mountain, the grass is wet and it smells like rain.  It's been a stormy summer. 

Derrick already left for work, so I'm thinking I will unfold the treadmill and give that a whirl.  I've been trying a different running strategy- shorter runs (around 3 miles @ 30 minutes, plus warm up and down walking) every day instead of the 6 mile run every other day.  I can run harder with no walk breaks for the shorter distance.  I'm less achy with the shorter runs, and my brain functions better if I get out there every day.  I'm also thinking that a half hour on the treadmill won't be 'death by boredom' like a full hour would be.

When Derrick gets home, we'll be taking a trip into town to two of my very favorite places, the IRS building and Verizon.  As both places are patently reasonable and non-money grubbing, we shouldn't be there too long.

No comments: