July 30, 2014

A Bit of This and That

This summer is going by so fast, like all summers do.  For me, it felt like it started earlier than usual this year.

Derrick's parents came up from Mexico for visit us around the first part of May, and for me that seemed to kick off summer.  They stayed a week with us, and then flew to Seattle to spend a week with David and Tara.  It was great to get to see them.

We had our International Convention in Seattle in the beginning of July, and the first part of summer was the build up and excitement of that event.  We had a great time over there.

The convention was at the Husky Stadium, which officially made it the first outdoor assembly we (as in Montanans over there- I hear a lot of other states do have outdoor assemblies quite often) have ever been to.

There were delegates from all over the world there.  It was great to see them in their native garb, and we were able to at least say hi to quite a few of them.  We were able to sit with all of our family all three days.  It was very hot and sunny, which partially made me happy because for once I was completely prepared for it with umbrellas, tons of sunscreen, sunglasses, hat.  It all went by too fast.  It was a beautiful event in our lives, and I am so glad that we all got to share it together.

Beyond that, we have been enjoying the regular fun times of summer in Montana.  So far we have been camping twice, once up Painted Rock with friends, and once in T. Falls with family.

This is the third year we have done the family camping trip in T. Falls.  The first time we went there we were all a little disgusted that we hadn't put a little more forethought into reserving a camping place at any of the lakes we like to go to in Montana.  Everything was all filled up, so out of desperation we decided to go to T. Falls.  It seemed ridiculous, like doing a big camping trip in your backyard (since we all grew up around there and some of us still live there).  But when we actually settled into the state park there, we realized the water was great, the fishing was better than most other places, and it was genuinely one of the most beautiful places we'd ever camped.  It also just seems a bit appropriate that for our family camping trip we all gather at where our roots started.


The last two years have been completely sunny and perfect for playing down by the river, but this year it was a bit cooler.  It was still warm enough to spend some time by the river, but on Sunday it drizzled most of the day and cooled off.  We took advantage of that weather to drive way up into the boonies and pick huckleberries.

Last weekend, Derrick, the kids, and I went on a day hike back into the Bitterroot National Forrest.  This time we hiked about three miles in to three little lakes.

We first stopped at Baker Lake to have a snack.  Since it was the closest lake in, there were more people there, and I could see why.  It is high enough that even on a warm July day, we were surrounded by snow capped peaks.  There were fish jumping everywhere as we walked along it shores, and you could actually see fish swimming around in the shallower edge water.  We continued walking further in, and eventually hit Middle Lake and then Gem Lake.

We'd been wanting to see Gem Lake ever since reading about it in our hiking book.  The book described it as having aquamarine waters.  Honestly, it didn't quite live up to the hype of the book, but it was still a lovely little lake and we were able to play in some of the snow piles around it's edges.

I think Kloe enjoyed this hike a bit better than last years big hike.  There were still some moments when she was not loving it (mostly the going up up upward moments) but over all she seemed happier with it.  Derrin just plugged along.

There was one part on the way down when Derrick and the kids started playing on these crazy rock formations that looked like pure death to me.

I am insanely afraid of heights, and watching them climb on those things had my hands sweating and trying to hold myself back from begging them to come down.  It's one of those mom things I think:  On one hand I want them to be fearless and able to explore the world.  On the other hand, I want to wrap them in bubble wrap and keep them locked up in their rooms where nothing can ever hurt them.

I felt the same way the very next day when we took them inner tubing down the Blackfoot River.  Both kids have had years of swimming lessons and are honestly better swimmers than I am, and the stretch of river we were going down was a fairly calm one.  It still scares me, even as I want them out there.

I remember my poor mom worrying like that, especially when we were playing on the river.  I'm talking about her worrying when when I was already an adult with kids of my own.  I have been assured by lots of other mothers that this worrying thing does not just go away.  Reminds me of an Elisabeth Stone quote, "Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body".

There is only one more day of July after today.  It is hot out there.  Kloe and I went to Splash MT yesterday to beat the heat.  It was only the second time we have been there.  Both times we met up with Sabrina and her kids and had a great time.  I am hoping for more of those good times in August.

Derrin didn't go with us this time because he was riding bikes with his buddy Austin.  This summer has been one of increasing freedoms for my boy.  He's been allowed to go riding with Austin into town, and to have more exploring time.  He has thoroughly enjoyed it, and although he still likes to hang out with his fam (I think?), I can tell he's really itching to just head out with friends.  It's a normal thing- I can very much remember feeling that way when I was his age.

We have more things planned for August.  More hiking, more camping, and Derrick has signed up to pioneer that month (and I am still thinking about it).  Dustin, David and Tara are coming next weekend, and we are very excited for that.  The three brothers are planning a backpacking trip for the weekend, and I am excited for them.

Sooo, here is to hoping that August doesn't zip by as fast as the rest of summer has!:)

No comments: