July 10, 2014

Monkey Business

Upon waking this morning, it occurred to me that my poor little blog has been utterly abandoned by myself for quite awhile.  Deciding to poke around in here and stir up some ideas to write about (I even made a new "Idea Bank" for myself!), I realized that I had started a post around the middle of June, and then promptly forgot that I had written it down.  So, here is the first post of summer 2014:

Today was the first real day of summer vacation for the kids. Normally, I have mentally prepared myself for this day, but there has been a lot going on around here.  Actually, I only returned last night from my sis's big move day (well, not exactly THE big move day, but they have sold their big house and moved into the apartment they own in T. Falls to buy some time while they hunt for a house in Zoo Town).

As soon as I was driving back into town, Derrin was messaging me that he wanted his friend to be able to come over in the morning because it was the only way that his friend would be able to go to the movie later that day with Derrin and all of his pals.

It was fine with me, except for my plan of going to the gym this morning since I had missed my work out day yesterday.  It would mean leaving Derrin, his friend, and Kloe on their own for a little while.

Honestly, I don't worry too much.  They are all good kids, and they are getting old enough that a couple hours on their own is okay.  The problem is, they are also getting old enough that I need to worry about 'boy/girl' stuff now.  This is one of the issues any family with both sexes of kids is eventually going to face, especially when they are close in age.  I've talked to both my kids about it at one time or another.  'Tis the facts of life.  Unfortunately for them (if they ever do develop a crush on their sibling's friends), I have been there myself, and very much understand what can happen.

With that in mind, I pulled Derrin aside before taking off to the gym and gave him another 'lecture' about how he needs to look out for his sister (Someday I will give her the SAME lecture.  Fair play and all.) around other boys...  Even the nice boys... Even the nice friends.  The big rule is no boy/girl combination ever goes by themselves into private rooms.  Today, I told Derrin he gets to be the watch out for anything like that where his sister is concerned (and someday *once again* Kloe will be bestowed with the same honor for her brother).

After taking care of such 'business', I took off and went to the gym and didn't come back until noon.

When I did come back, all three kids were playing MineCraft, Kloe's very favorite game.  I'm pretty sure they were in a world she had created, which is always amusing because she totally has the upper hand on her brother.

As I watched her, I realized she is NOT in that teen zone yet.  She was still in her pj's, her hair was crazy, she was barking out orders to both boys about how to play the game, and as I walked toward her I sniffed and there was this onion.... aroma.

I asked her if she'd been in the chives again.  "Oh yeah Mom", she said,"and you know what you SHOULDN'T do?  Eat a whole purple chive flower.  Whoo!"  

My girl, if you ever read this, you made your momma laugh really hard today, just by being your adorable eleven year old self who just lives in the moment with crazy hair, chive breath, all while beating the boys at Minecraft. I couldn't adore you more:)

Eventually, we took off for the movie.  Today it was "The Fault in Our Stars", which in my opinion was a really great Chick Flick.  It was NOT, however, a movie I would have picked out to take 5 boys ages 15 and under to.  The only reason I could decipher for all of them wanting to go to this particular movie (because the fact that one of two of them, including Derrin, actually read the John Green book the movie was based on did not seem to curb ANY adolescent boy behavior during the movie) was the fact that there was a certain very cute 15 year old girl there (who shall remain anonymous) who had announced that she would like to see it.

The seating arrangement of our raucous group was this:

BOY:BOY
BOY:BOY:BOY:CUTE 15 YEAR OLD GIRL:KLOE:MYSELF

Notice how somehow I ended up clear on the far edge.  This created two issues for me:

 #1- I could not yell at, get the attention of, kick the back of the seats of, or flick the ears of any of the boys who chose to exhibit these behaviors during this emotionally charged movie: talking, throwing popcorn, and making fun of sobbers (and this movie had a lot of them).  We were THAT group.  The group women throughout the theater would recall to mind whenever this particular movie comes up in conversation.  We were The Ruiners of a Good Cry group; the most hated movie group of them all.

#2- Because of my close proximity to this group of monkeys and the fact that I was the only adult, I ended up looking like the adult monkey. 

I learned two lessons from this experience:

#1- Never, ever sit BY a group of silly boys during any movie (but especially a movie that causes icky uncomfortably weepy feelings that must be combated with militant mockery), and

#2- Instead, either choose the sit BEHIND said group for the aforementioned kicking of the back of the seats and flicking of ears, or even better, sit far far away where there is NO guilt by association attached to myself.

Eh, summer lessons, they begin early around here.




No comments: