January 14, 2007

First Whole Day in Mexico!


I am sitting here in an internet cafe, drinking a michilaea (a lots of lime juice, corona and salt), and I wanted to remember the name of it (I am sure I won´t remember half of the words that I learn here) so, thus the blog.

Yesterday was a long, long day. We woke up at 4:10 in Seattle so we would have time to drop off the rental car, go through the line that check bags and your little baggie of liquid goods (as many little 3.4 ounce bottle that will fit into a quart baggie), and have a little bit of breakfast. By the time our plane left, I was already wanting to go back to sleep, but alas, due to our standby tickets, we were assigned 3 in one row, and 1 in a completely other row. This meant one parent would have two kids, and the other would get to sleep all by his/herself. I chose to be the parent with the kids for the three hour flight, only because I could tell that I was the least tired of the Derrick and myself (due to the fact that whenever we go to Seattle to stay with his brother, they all stay up until two in the morning visiting, and I am always the party pooper who goes to bed). Other than the usual kid antics however, I have to say I was very impressed with my kids and how they behaved. The only time we heard much at all out of either of them was when the planes were landing, because Kloe cried all three landings (her ears hurt).

Today was glorious. I didn´t want to brag, or make make cold weathered friends sad, but it was simply the most awesome day ever. We woke up around nine, and took the kids out to the little swimming pool in front of our cute little Mexican motel. It is a little rustic, but the colors are bright and I feel like painting my house in various shades of orange, blue and pink now to capture their festive mood. After swimming for awhile, we got ready to go have breakfast. Dave had heard that there was a beach with restaurants closeby, so we drove for about ten minutes and found an old dirt road with a old shacklike buildings on either side (although most of them have crazy little swimming pools too). We stopped at one such place because there was a mexican girl holding a menu out to us. We were the only ones there, except for the family who ran the place. It was all open, overlooking the ocean, and to the kids utter joy and delight, the floor was made of sand. The food was so so good!!! We had fish tacos (that ranked best fish tacos EVER in my life, until we had more fish tacos for lunch that were just as good). But the BEST part of breakfast was the fried bananas with cream sauce. Oh yes. MMM. So very very very good.

We went to another beach for the rest of the day (one that was in the bay so the kids would have an easier time). We rented an umbrella for the day that came complete with people to watch our stuff while we were all frolicking in ocean. There was awesome food at the beach (more fish tacos) as well as the one ingrediant to complete one of my lifelong goals.... to sit on a beach in Mexico and drink a CORONA. Bliss. Joy. I feel a little more complete now.

The kids both were excited to get into the water. Derrin approached it bravely. He swallowed way too much salt water at first while he was learning how to jump the waves, but he learned the trick pretty quickly. Kloe decided she hated it immediately (this is often how she approached new situations), but by the end of the day she was begging to stay in the water. It was sooo warm.

There are people walking along the beach all day selling there creations. I saw alot of homemade jewlery, hats, woven purses. I love it. I love having the shopping come TO me. It is fun to see the diferent things pèople make here to make a living.

Well, this cafe looks like it is closing, so I have to wind it up. But so far, all is so fun, and if the rest of this week is as good as today was, I can´t wait!

No comments: