February 26, 2007

The Weekend


This last Friday was the Hospist Ball. I went ahead and took the pictures there, made some money for hospist ($10 charge per picture). It also turned out to be a pretty enlightening experience for me. I've always experience photography in terms of fun. This was more like frantic snapping for four and a half hours in a row. Turns out it felt like work. But it was good for me because I had to figure out how to do some things out of my comfort zone, like arranging rowdy people into group shots without using my voice, because we were so close to the band that I couldn't hardly be heard over it. And I had to learn to not expect perfection out of my pictures either. There was no time between shooting them and printing them to pull them up in my program and doctor them, which was super aggravating at first, but by the end of the night I could have cared less. Also, because of the timescale and the decorating committee, I did not get to do much with the background, which was extremely frustrating, because it could have been better if I would've had a little more time to work on it. But, once again, by the end of the night, I just did not care. So, I would say what I gained mostly out of the experience was more on terms of managing people, trying to make them smile, be comfortable, and getting them through the line and on to their picture. Thank goodness for Derrick who was taking care of the organizing of the portraits and the printing.

Our guest table at the ball was full, but we didn't get to see them very much. They all said they had fun though. Next year I will not do pictures. Even though it was a good experience, I would rather be part of the party.

Saturday Shannon and I went down to Plains where we met my sister and my kids (Steph and Renae watched them for me) at Mom's place. We just had an easy visiting day. It was nice. Mom is looking good. She is lifting her little arm weights and doing her step exercises to build up strength. She still is pretty weak, but she is doing well and trying super hard.

We came home Saturday night. Sunday was an easy going day. We had a lot of company, and watched movies. All in all it was a pretty good weekend.

No comments: