October 19, 2010

Mom died at 1:10 yesterday afternoon. I was at work when Renae called me with the news. I had just talked to Mom and told her I loved her minutes before she died. She could only breathe hard into the phone in response, but I choose to believe she heard me.
My co-workers have been so wonderful throughout this. Finding out at work was not what I wanted or anticipated. Cindy (other clerical support gal) was in the bathroom instantly with me, hugging me and telling me to just grab my stuff and head out. So, I went home, Derrick and I grabbed a couple things, and we left for Plains.
Walking in to my parent's living room and seeing my mom's body was so surreal. I will never beable to forget it. But at least she looked so much more at peace than she did the last time I saw her. All of us women, sisters, daughters, granddaughter took turns putting make-up on her, fixed her hair, put ear rings back on her. She looked like mom again when we were through- as beautiful as ever. I was glad when Dave made it in time with my kids too, so they could see her one more time in her home without the pain on her face. It was very hard for all of us when the man from the mortuary came and they put her in the bag and took her from the home. Just when I thought it couldn't get any more real.
We are having a viewing of the body on Wednesday. We still need to write an obituary... Steph and I want to make a slideshow for after her funeral, which is going to be on Saturday. In the meantime... I guess the main thing is to keep breathing.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: