October 7, 2006

Guitars

Today I am sitting here trying to learn how to play a song. It is actually sort of exciting for me because when I first got my guitar this was the song I wanted to learn. It's "Baby, Now That I Found You" by Allison Krauss. I thought it sounded easy enough to play and I loved it. Turns out it was too hard for me. This week I dug out the tabs I had printed out when I first started playing and started trying again. Not only can I play it but I can actually sing to it at the same time (this usually is substancially harder for me). It is exciting to have such a concrete proof of advancement:-)
I grew up in a family where both of my parents played instruments- my dad really likes bluegrass. All of my older siblings could play too, to some degree or another. I just was not interested the whole time I was growing up, I don't know why. The person who switched me around was a lady named Suzanne. She cuts and highlights my hair and once in awhile she would play music for me while the highlights were taking. I was INSPIRED. I love the songs she writes and plays and I knew I really wanted to learn how to play to. I'm so glad too- playing guitar is so calming to me. The only other thing that takes me so out of myself is when I'm taking pictures. When I'm playing all I'm focusing on is my fingers trying to make the music and every situation I'm thinking of could be a potential song if only I could find the right words and notes. When I'm taking pictures I start to look around at everything as a potential picture. That really makes everything look extra beautiful all of a sudden.

The thing that Suzanne taught me was that anyone can be inspiring as long as they really are passionate about what they are doing. And you can choose to keep learning, no matter where you are in life. Also, I can play guitar and take pictures with my kids right by my side and I think (I hope) that maybe that will teach them how learning something new can make you happy.

No comments: