February 15, 2014

Saturday- A Day at the Beach

The First REAL Day in Cancun (Saturday)

The water in Cancun is unlike anything I have ever seen in my life.  It's not like I've been able to travel the whole world (yet), but I have been to three of the Hawaiian Islands and up and down the west coast of Mexico, as well as all along the west coast and the northeast coast of the United States.  I always love to get my eyes on (and my toes in) the ocean whenever possible.  But this water in Cancun... crystal clear and all shades of aquamarine.  In this Montana girl's life, it is one of the two most beautiful sights I have ever seen (the other being the view from the top of St. Mary's Peak in the Bitterroot National Forrest right here in Montana).  The water was warm but cool enough to be refreshing, and saltier than anywhere else I've been (or at least that's how I perceived it).

Derrick and I woke up that morning and ordered room service for breakfast again, mostly because the novelty of having someone bring food to us while we are still in our jammies never gets old. It does make me pine for a personal cook and butler when I get home, however.

We eventually ambled our way down to the beach.  First we walked along the beach in front of our motel, admiring to calm beaches that we were planning on swimming in later.  We were staying on a little peninsula, and on one side the water was open ocean and very rough and the normal dark grey/blue ocean color, and on the other, the water was more more protected, calm, and that aquamarine color.  The calmest part of the beach was right outside the steps closest to our bedroom, and as we left our motel and walked down the rest of the motel strip, the water was a little rougher, but still very beautiful and safe to swim in.

We were taking pictures of each other a long the way, when a surfer lady asked if we'd like her to take our picture.  She'd obviously spent a lot of time in the sun, and while she looked in her fifties, she easily could have been closer to late thirties(sunscreen people!).  She made several comments about the hunky windsurfer she was watching at the moment (not quite a boyfriend, but...), took lots of pictures of us, and then advised us to take public transportation whenever possible because the motel excursions were a total ripoff.  She also advised making a trip to Akumal where we would be able to swim with turtles.  A very informative woman was this surfer gal, and it was great to have run into her.

The beach was our home for the rest of Saturday. The spot where we parked ourselves was right in front of our favorite part of calm ocean.  We were right between two huts that served drinks, and there were folks walking along the beach asking if we would like anything else.

I will miss those folks asking for what we'd like while we are at the lake this summer.

We went to dinner at Himitsu that night. We all had their sushi, which was pretty good.  I ordered a squid salad, thinking it would be like the squid salad we get in our sushi restaurant back home, but this salad was a lot more squid-y.  I ate most of it anyways (choked down some gnarly tentacles).  They made great chocolate martinis.  We stayed there a long time, trying new food and talking.  After that, we went dancing.

Deana can get down with her bad self on the dance floor, and Rob and Derrick were no slouches either.  We danced and danced and... you guessed.  The four of us drank gallons of water, and then got back out there.  For the first time ever, I found myself wishing I knew how to Salsa (Upon leaving Mexico this time I decided I wanted to learn #1 Spanish (Being in such a multi-lingual environment really makes me kick myself for barely being mono-linguistic) #2 Salsa Dancing #3 Scuba Diving).  Derrick got out there and learned a few Salsa moves.  Watching him was my favorite part of the whole night.  It's been awhile since I've seen him laugh so much, dance so much, and just generally have a great time.

First day to wander along the beach.

View out our door.




First Day in the Sand





No comments: