December 11, 2006

cars, movies, and a road trip

Category: Life We chose to stay in our home arena this weekend. We know where everything is here, for instance our favorite restaurants. We also know where the theater is here. We also know where all of my favorite places to shop are. But really what convinced us to stay in Missoula, and really Montana, is that our rental car is restricted from going out of state.

The insurance guy called me, and their solution to the burnt purple bomb was to replace the motor with one that has fifty thousand less miles on it. I admit, I was disappointed. I had hoped for his solution to be,"Ma'am, this poor vehicle is a big pile of crap and a hazard as well. Not only am I totalling it, but I think I'll throw a couple thou more into the mix for your pain and suffering and the risk of your life while putting out the flames." That was not his thinking however, so now we really are going to have to sell my purple car. The truth is, it is a pretty good car, except for the burning thing, so it shouldn't be so hard to sell.

So, knowing we will be selling the purple car, we are in the market for a new car. We spent quite a little time on Friday looking at every sort of car one can think of. Derrick is a car enthusiast. He knows all there is about any car you can imagine. As such, he also enjoys fine quality in a car. It is good to have him on the team of buying a car. I, although not knowing ANYTHING about cars (except for color... I definately have that down), AM the money person on the team. I know exactly how much we have every month, how many bills we have, exactly how far I can stretch a dollar. I am fairly vital to this team as well. Unfortunately, when it actually comes time to choosing a car together, we seem to negate any progress that can be made with both of our very accurate observations about any said vehicle. The car that finally made us decide NOT to look at anymore cars this weekend was a GREAT buy(for what it was), and also FINE quality. It was silver, fully loaded, and although being over four years old, it only had 20,000 miles on it. I must interject here, that I do not like car salesmen. I won't make any more snide comments about them though, because as Derrick reminded me this weekend, snide comments about car salemen are not funny, they are just obvious. Of course they are tricky and dishonest. But the one that really irritated me (his name was Joe... good ol' honest Joe), tried to get on our good side really fast by saying things like,"Now Derrick, a GOOD saleman would try to get you into ANY car you wanted to, any way that they could, with 6 or 7 year loans. I am here to tell you that is not a good idea. I don't want you stretched too tight and in an upsidedown load, you know?," all being said with his hands clasped on his desk, a fatherly gleam in his eye. All being said right before showing us the silver car that was a good 150 dollars more a month than I was willing to spend. I could feel myself getting more and more irritated, partly because I could feel myself being enticed as well. It was beautiful. My own weakness in the moment was what prompted me to bark out,"WE CAN'T AFFORD THIS!!!" Derrick stopped his admiring and smiled big, fake, and through his teeth said,"We are just looking, dear". I knew I had committed some huge trespass at that moment, and I stepped back and let the men crawl in and out of doors, admiring, loving, caressing the car, Joe dreaming he would sell us this car, Derrick dreaming he would buy it. I did apologize later, and after that we tried to limit vehicle searching time.

We also went to the movie Stanger Than Fiction, which I enjoyed. It reminded me a little of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind mixed with Joe versus the Volcano. It was a little slow, but it was fun too. We also watched The Breakup that night, which I HATED. Oh my... how I hated it. I hated the man character. Yikes. The writers must have sat around making a list of every annoying and horrible characteristic a man could probably have and then they rolled it all up in the form of Vince Vaunn who is more capable of being obnoxious than any other actor I have seen. He stressed me out. By the end of the movie I was feeling angry at Derrick, just because he was a man and he was sitting there with me, and he had dared to laugh! I admit I was tired by then and wisely we went to bed shortly thereafter, before I could pick a fight over something so stupid.

Yesterday we took a drive together up to Whitefish. It is so nice to go on a ride, and to experience the total silence of a child-free car. It is called luxury. Don't get me wrong, I miss my children and I will be delighted to have them home today, but how I love sweet sweet silence in a car! We drove all the way to Big Mountain to look at one of Derrick's jobs, and we did a little bit of shopping and ate on the way home. It was simple and sweet. Below is a picture I took with my phones camera at the top of Big Mountain. It was beautiful being on top of the fog for a least a little while.

That is all for the weekend. Real life begins again later today when we get to pick up our babies. But, that's okay. I'm ready to be back in real life with them.

No comments: