April 15, 2011

What exactly IS everything a dog needs?

Yesterday Kloe came bounding in to my to announce, "Daddy said I can get a DOG!!!"

Hmmm.  Didn't seem like something he would say.  So I said nothing, and let her keep talking.

"He said that if I save up all my money to get everything that a dog needs, I can get a dog!!!  So I'm going to save all my money, and buy a bunch of dog food, a collar, toys..."

Fifteen minutes later, we are in the car on our way to meeting and she is still talking,"...do you like dalmatians, Momma?  "Cuz I like dalmatians.  Or what kind of puppy did Brandon and Lyndsay get, the one they named Zea? (doberman) I like that kind of dog too, except I don't like the bandages on their ears....."

Ten minutes later, a lot of dog talk in between...

"....I like retrievers too!  Do you like retrievers Momma?  I'd like a brown retriever, but yellow and golden ones are good too...."

Two hours later we are in the car again.  And again the subject was.... yep.

This morning  she comes running into my bedroom to ask for two more cents because that would make her have six whole dollars in her dog fund.

As soon as she got home for school she told me about all of the names she'd been thinking about for her dog, about how that was all she thought about ALL day (Except for during math.  She made sure she paid attention to math.) Then she asked if we could go to the store so she could buy her first bag of dog food with her six dollars to start gathering the aforementioned "everything that a dog needs" requirement to actually get the dog.

I'd say her heart is set on this in a very big way.  I have deliberately kept myself out of the equation, choosing instead the supportive role of "dream listener" which is no small task when the one you are listening to is an eight year old who is capable of talking enthusiastically  non-stop for hours at amazing speeds.  I was not in on the original conversation. 

So, I guess that I'm going to have to say to be continued....

No comments: