September 8, 2013

Day 11: My Family

In line with the 30 day writing challenge, I am talking about my family in this disjointed entry.

There are a lot of different kind of family I have been blessed to be part of.

The family I was raised in represents so many dichotomies to me.  But, despite any of the craziness that has come from this core family, I can honestly say I was gifted with more than an adequate amount of love as I was growing up.

I had parents who did their best, and I couldn't ask any more than that.  I think about different situations they found themselves in, and different choices they made, and I don't know that I could have done any better had I been in their shoes with the resources they had.  I do know that everything they ever did, they did out of love for their family.

My family had four boys and two girls.  Lonnie, Danny, Daryn, and Renae were born first, and later myself and my younger brother Shaun came along.  Daryn died when he was 23 and I was 8.

Things haven't always been the easiest between myself and my brothers.  I wish things were different for us, and that we could all be a big, warm, and happy family. That hasn't happened, however.  I love them, though, and I want them to have happy lives.  Who knows, maybe some day, some how, things will be better for us.  I will always hope for that.

My sister has always been one of the most important people in my life.  She is 12.5 years older than me, so growing up we didn't have the typical sister relationship.  She has always had my back, though, ever since childhood.  She protected me when I didn't even know I was in danger.  She tried her hardest to keep me from being a follower (and as hard as I fight being a leader, I fight just as hard not to be a follower).  She was my absolute role model/hero as I grew up, and then she transformed into one of my best friends.

She married Doug when I was five.  He is my brother, all the way. Besides my mom, he was the authority figure I butted heads with the most as I was growing up (I fought with Shaun and Steph a lot too, but more in a sibling-ish kind of way).  As much as I wanted to punch him a lot (and I say that with a smile), I love/d him just as much.

I have three nieces and three nephews.  I grew up close to three of them- Steph, Shannon, and Brandon, and they feel more like younger siblings to me.  Ryan (only 3 years younger than me) didn't move close to us until he was around fifteen.  We kind of bounced in and out of each other's lives through the years.  Kobe and McKenzie live in Oregon with their mothers.  I miss getting to see them grow up.

I also have some amazing aunts who have always been instrumental in my life.  I have sister/brother/niece in-laws who I am blessed to call my family.

I was never one of those kids who dreamed about being a mother, but it has been my life's most rewarding and beautiful journeys.  Of course there are times I feel like I am going to lose my mind if I hear them fighting even one.more.time, but in the big picture I would never trade getting to be their mother for anything.

Of course, my family includes Derrick.  He is my rock, my source of safety.  I love that I know him so intimately, and that the more minutely I know him, the more I respect him.  He has a well of integrity that I completely look up to, and hope I can achieve.  I have been blessed to make this family with him.

I also have friends that I love like family.  I've been blessed to have amazing people come into my life, and once you are in the inner family/friend circle of my heart, I don't ever want you to go.  My tribe.

And I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses- that makes me part of a very large family.  My whole life I have been fortunate to be surrounded by these brothers/sisters.

And there you have it, the *very* short version of "My Family".



   

No comments: