September 8, 2013

Ryan

My nephew Ryan passed away this weekend in a tragic motorcycle accident.  I (along with the rest of his family) am heart broke that it happened.  It was the last thing any of us expected.

The last time I saw him was not good (because of some strained family dynamics), but the time before that was at a big family dinner at my mom and dad's house.  We played Spoons, took pictures and felt like a big happy family that night.

My best memory of him is from about four years ago.  We went to coffee in town, and talked for a couple of hours about everything and anything.  He had one of those minds that could wander down lots of different subjects, so talking with him was really fun.  He had been going to AA for about a year at that point (I realize that is an anonymous group, but he was very vocal about it himself, and was very close to the people there so I don't think he would've minded me saying it), and he had all the hope of someone on a new path. I had been going through some hard times myself, so we were able to talk about what we were going through and what we were doing to make things better. I was glad to hear that he had stayed on that path, and his life seemed to be going in a good direction.

He had a fifteen year old son and a baby boy (around two years old).  He was my brother Lonnie's only child. I just can't even imagine what he is going through right now.

No comments: