November 21, 2006

The Price One Pays

Lemons with salt. Grapefruits with salt. Sour apples with salt. Tomatoes with... salt. These were a few of my favorite things while I was growing up. As a kid, besides the chocolate and black licorice addictions I struggled with, I also used to save my quarters to buy lemons. I would eat them by the bag full. My mom always told me, "Rachel, that is VERY bad for your teeth. You should at LEAST wash your mouth out with water when you are done." But I chose to laugh in the face of danger. I liked to savor the sour saltiness for as long as I could and rinsing would have ruined the experience. This marks one more time I should have listened to Mom.

Yesterday I went to the dentist and it cost me over five hundred dollars to fix my two front teeth. They probably looked fine enough, but all of the enamel was gone from years if being on the hard (and sour) stuff. I have never really had to go to the dentist (I have NO cavities, a fact I am a little too proud of) and I found the experience sort of weird. My dentist is a nice and handsome man by the name of Tom. BUT, it felt really really weird to have hands and fingers of a stranger in my mouth. I mean, I know his name and profession, but that is it. Maybe it would've helped if he would've been uglier.

A very vulnerable experience could include being leaned so back in a chair that blood rushes to ones head, making ones face turn purple and ones eyes start to see interesting red and purple spots. A very humbling experience is having the inability to smile at the camera while they take a picture of your teeth because your lips are twitching from nervousness. An experience no woman would prefer is having wods of cotton stuffed into her upper lip by the handsome dentist so she looks like a demented bunny. A sad experience is feeling so stressed out you might break from any sudden movemments and then looking into the eyes of the assistant and seeing the boredom of just another day. I survived by counting the squares on the ceiling, looking into the reflection of the light over my head, and once in awhile looking at Dr. Tom to see how funny HE looked with the super magnifying lenses he sported to craft my teeth.

The good doctor applied the composit filling to the front of my teeth and ground and shined and polished. Now they are good as new. He did a really good job. As I paid, the lady at the front desk smiled, said they looked great and that I should just think of them as a present to myself because I am a mother and I deserve it. I smiled and told her it was the price I get to pay for not listening to my mom.

No comments: