June 9, 2010

Dandelions

I remember one time about seven years ago when we lived at our last place, we had a major infestation of dandelions. There was no helping it- the neighbors all around us used dandelions as ground cover more than grass. We were too poor to have anyone come out to spray the lawn, but all of those dandelions drove me crazy, so I went out there with a shovel one day and spent the whole day digging up dandelions. I had two full garbage bags at the end of the day. I was exhausted, but my yard looked awesome. For about two weeks it looked awesome, until all the little seeds I couldn't see took root and started to grow. It took about a month to look like I had never spent the entire day picking at those weeds.
Such is life I guess. I have so many weeds inside myself. I feel like I spend so much time trying to yank them out of my heart yet have so little time actually free of them.
Did you know there are some people who used dandelions as food and medicine? I've realized there are people out there who like my inner dandelions . It's like the more infested I am with weeds, the more I need them to tell me that some people think dandelions are pretty (some people crave that dependent neediness- it's food to their ego). The worse my weed problem, the better they can feel about their less infested selfs (medicine to their own lack of self-esteem). Worse, some people seem to help propagate my inner weeds- it's like they subtly feed the dandelions to maturity and then blow on them gently to spread the seeds further throughout my heart. I've even met people who would love it if I only had weeds- they are the dandelion eaters, encouraging the weeds and then eating me alive... I guess I've decided that I can't have anyone who even gently encourages my weeds. Dandelions are already so hard to control.
And, in the end, I just can't be one of the neighbors who just accepts dandelions because I can't afford to protect the grass. My grass is worth fighting for, even if it's back breaking labor for two giant bags of dandelions every two weeks.

No comments: