January 24, 2011

Some Thoughts on Organized Sports and Brain Candy

This was another calm weekend.  There was a time when that would have been a frustrating thing for me, but these days every quiet weekend spent in my little home feels almost decadent, like we are cheating or something.

There was no sleeping in (service Sat and meeting Sun), so that was a bummer.  Did a little shopping (Old Navy is having AWESOME deals fyi.  Shirts for $1-$3.  Loaded up on stuff for the kids), and then Derrick and I went out to dinner with some friends (Greg and Cookie Hanson) at Cafe Dolce, and went to a hockey game.  It was the first hockey game any of us had ever attended.  The best thing about going to a hockey game (for me) is that they have cotton candy there (I ask you, what can not be improved with cotton candy??).  Also, it was cool to get to hang out with Cookie and hear about some of her art and craft projects.  As far as the actual hockey goes, the best part was seeing the puck get slammed over the glass wall thingy and almost hit some guy in the head.  There should have been more of that- dodging pucks would be a lot more fun than just watching them get smacked around by hockey players.  This is my suggestion for Hockey Leagues everywhere (does hockey have leagues like bowling?)--->extreme audience participation.  I don't really understand the concept of gathering enjoyment from watching other people play sports.  I wouldn't enjoy sitting there and watching someone else eat chocolate cake, and that's same feeling I get when watching sports- a  jealous/bored combo.  The only sporting event I really like to go to is the Super Bowl, and I have never actually watched the game, it's just fun listening to everyone go berserk, and the party food is usually outstanding.  With that being said, I would always choose to go to a game if good company is involved.

I have that horrible Black Eye Peas  song in my head today- I think it's called The Time.  I swear the B.E.P's don't even try to write real lyrics, they just make them up as they go.  They do, however, have really fun music.   I consistently offer token resistance up when a new Black Eye Peas song comes out, because without fail their songs are the stupidest songs you will find (if you don't count Kesha, whose music has absolutely NO redeeming qualities).  But it never lasts... I'll forget to turn the radio station just once, and then I'm sucked in again.  Black Eye Peas, you will always win me over.  Your fun beats always trump your stupid lyrics.

Some people I know right now are on awesome exotic vacations.  To those people, I am thinking of you today.  Please send some sunshine my way! :)

Just in case you'd like a really stupid song with a fun beat in your head today (and if you had no idea what in the world I was talking about), I offer here The Time (Black Eyed Peas)

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: