December 8, 2010

Music Learnin'

Yesterday I went to Derrin's guitar lesson with him (this was his third one with this new teacher).  I sat quietly in the background trying to absorb the lesson discreetly.  My covert plan is to be Derrin's "practice buddy", and learn with him:)  We He was learning about whole, half, and quarter notes yesterday.  Derrin already knew all about that, but I found it interesting.  I can read tab, but how cool to read music and understand timing! 
The song to learn this week is "Redemption" by The Bob.  I was excited to know that Marley was who we'd he'd be playing this week, and I had to let the teacher (his name is James) know that I LOVE Marley, but I didn't know that song.  Derrick says that I am the reason pop culture exists- I only pay attention to the popular and easily recognizable stuff in music.  I beg to differ- I like lots of Marley stuff that isn't mainstream, but maybe I haven't heard everything he had to offer. The truth is I grew up in the ittybitty town of Paradise where the music I was exposed to all either came from the radio, tv, old records of my siblings from the 70's (Boston or REO Speedwagon anyone?), or the stuff my dad listened to (a whole lot of Cash, Haggard and Jennings), and eventually all the music of the 90's as a teenager (when grunge was in, and music was awesome*Sarah McLachlan and Tori Amos, also great finds of the 90's*).  I've branched out since then, and Marley was a good starting pointing when trying to find "new" stuff.  I know, it's like having ice cream for the first time at the age of twenty.
It's funny observing Derrin with this teacher.  Derrin LOVES structure.  Rules are his friends, a clearly defined lesson is how he learns best.  At the end of third grade, his class did that whole writing a letter to their fourth grade teachers about what they hoped for in a teacher.  What stands out in my memory about Derrin's letter is he said "I hope you are fun, but stern..."  It still cracks me up:) Clearly, he is his father's son.  Thank goodness he has Derrick for a "stern" parent.  I do my best,  but I am SO not that mom.  James the guitar teacher would be exactly the kind of person I could learn from- easy going, go at your own pace kind of teacher.  Regardless, I am so grateful that Derrin is in lessons, because he does have natural musical ability.  He also has a lot to say- I'm hoping that learning to read and play music will give him tools to express some of his thoughts and feelings as he gets older.
Kloe has been going with us to where we have the lessons, but she hangs out in the big central music room.  They have a "world beat" drum class (pretty sure they all just sit around in a circle and beat on their drums- think I will observe next week) during the time when Derrin's doing his lesson.  The teacher of that class asked if she could sit in with them yesterday, and she LOVED it.  I'm smiling as I write this, because I can so see her as a grown-up, living as a hippie chick on a Mexican beach, beating on her bongo.  This is very much up her alley.  I'm going to sign her up next week- it'll be good for her little free spirit.

No comments: